James Cant studied at the East Sydney Technical College, Julian Ashton School and the Central School of Arts and Crafts (London). From 1949-55 he lived and worked in England and was a member of the London Group - his work at this time had surrealist qualities. Increasingly he turned towards social realism and was a founding member of SORA in Sydney. In 1949 he settled in Adelaide and taught at the South Australian School of Art. Cant made his first monotypes in the late 1940s and intermittently in subsequent years.
© Australian Art Department, Art Gallery of New South Wales, 2003
colour monotype, printed on ivory wove paper
28.2 x 19.5 cm image; 32.6 x 21.0 cm sheet
Signature & date
Signed l.r., black ink "J. CANT". Not dated.
Purchased with funds provided by the Australian Prints, Drawings and Watercolours Benefactors Fund 2003
Not on display
© James Cant. Licensed by Viscopy, Sydney
Shown in 1 exhibition
Australian prints: Collectors' List no. 104, Josef Lebovic Gallery, Kensington, 31 May 2003–27 Jul 2003
Referenced in 1 publication
Josef Lebovic (Compilator), Australian prints: Collectors' List no. 104, Paddington, 2003. cat.no. 17; reproduced in colour on Josef Lebovic Gallery website in electronic version of this catalogue