J J Hilder was born at Toowoomba, Queensland. Greatly admired by his contemporaries, both artists and collectors, for his atmospheric watercolours; his career was cut short by his premature death from tuberculosis. Principally a watercolourist, he exhibited his first works in August 1907 at the Society of Artists exhibition in Sydney. Poor health deterred him from painting in oils, but he did make a small number of monotypes using oil paint between 1911 and 1913. Harry Julius, a colleague and friend of the artist, recalled in 1918:
I showed him a simple method of making monotypes, and for a time he was absorbed in it. The process was that of painting in oils on a piece of glass, placing a sheet of damp blotting paper on the painting and then rolling a bottle over the paper to get an impression. It is a tricky method, and amused him for a while.
(Harry Julius, 'Recollections of Hilder', Sydney Ure Smith and Bertram Stevens (eds), 'The Art of J J Hilder', Sydney: Angus and Robertson, 1918, pg. 30).
excerpt from Hendrik Kolenberg and Anne Ryan, 'Australian prints in the Gallery's collection', Art Gallery of New South Wales, 1998
The Art Gallery of New South Wales
The National Art Gallery of New South Wales
colour monotype on ivory wove paper
19.6 x 19.2 cm image; 20.0 x 19.7 cm sheet
Signature & date
Not signed. Not dated.
Not on display
Shown in 2 exhibitions
Jesse Jewhurst Hilder anniversary exhibition (1966-1967):
- Queensland Art Gallery, South Brisbane 21 Apr 1966–15 May 1966
- City Hall, Toowoomba, Toowoomba 23 May 1966–29 May 1966
- Newcastle Art Gallery, Newcastle 09 Jun 1966–03 Jul 1966
- Tasmanian Museum and Art Gallery, Hobart 14 Jul 1966–07 Aug 1966
- Queen Victoria Museum and Art Gallery, Launceston, Launceston 18 Aug 1966–11 Sep 1966
- National Gallery of Victoria [Swanston Street], Melbourne 22 Sep 1966–23 Oct 1966
- Art Gallery of New South Wales, Sydney 09 Nov 1966–04 Dec 1966
- Canberra Theatre Centre, Canberra 15 Dec 1966–08 Jan 1967
- National Gallery of South Australia, Adelaide 19 Jan 1967–12 Feb 1967
- Western Australian Art Gallery, Perth 23 Feb 1967–19 Mar 1967
Australian prints from the Gallery's collection (1998-1999), Art Gallery of New South Wales, Sydney, 06 Nov 1998–07 Feb 1999