Previous winners of the Brett Whiteley Travelling Art Scholarshop with Wendy Whiteley (left to right): Alan Jones, Nicole Kelly, Nathan Hawkes, Becky Gibson, Belem Lett, Wendy Whiteley, James Drinkwater, Mitch Cairns
Brett Whiteley Travelling Art Scholarship
Winner of the 2015 Brett Whiteley Travelling Art Scholarship announced
Each year, the Brett Whiteley Studio, administered by the Art Gallery of NSW, invites applications for a major travelling art scholarship. The scholarship is awarded to a talented young artist/painter with an established body of work who is best able to demonstrate the use and benefit of the scholarship to further their art education in Europe.
Mrs Beryl Whiteley (1917–2010) generously allocated funds for the scholarship in memory of her son, Brett Whiteley, both to encourage excellence in painting and to offer young artists the same opportunity to develop their careers as were afforded to her son.
The scholarship consists of an amount of $30,000 and a three-month residency at the Cité Internationale des Arts, Paris, administered by the Art Gallery of NSW.
The residency is for a continuous period of three months occupancy, from July to September 2016. The scholarship must be taken at this specified time.
The $30,000 must be used by the successful applicant to further their art education in Europe for a period of at least six months, three of which must be used in conjunction with the residency.
- The scholarship is open to artists who are between the ages of 20 and 30 (inclusive) on the closing date for applications, which is Friday 15 May 2015.
- Applicants must be citizens of Australia and must have been so for at least the last two years. Applicants must be residing in Australia at the time of processing, judging and the announcement of the scholarship.
- The applicant must format ten images of their artworks into a PowerPoint presentation, following the PowerPoint template provided. Please save your file in the following format: ‘SURNAME_First name_2015’
- From the ten images submitted at least five must be of paintings. The remaining five may be of works in other media.
- From these five images of paintings, the applicant must nominate one painting no larger than 100 × 150 cm as the work they would prefer the judges to consider in competition for the scholarship. The nominated image must be of a painting and must have been produced in the twelve months prior to the closing date. The applicant must clearly label the nominated work in their PowerPoint presentation with an ‘N’. This must be the first slide in the presentation.
- The judges may, at their discretion, nominate from the submitted images any other painting also completed by the artist in the preceding 12 months instead of the applicant’s nominated work.
- The PowerPoint presentation must be provided on a CD-ROM.
- The CD-ROM must be submitted with a completed application form and a non-refundable $20 (including GST) entry fee. Please post your application to: Brett Whiteley Travelling Art Scholarship, Public Programs, Art Gallery of NSW, Art Gallery Rd, Sydney NSW 2000. Or deliver in person to the Art Gallery of NSW between Monday 11 May and Friday 15 May only (10am – 5pm). If you would like your CD-ROM returned, you must also include a prepaid, self-addressed envelope. Payment must be made by cheque or money order to the Art Gallery of NSW. Any application form not accompanied by payment will not be eligible for the scholarship.
- A shortlist of finalists will be selected in August. Shortlisted finalists will be required to send their nominated work to the Brett Whiteley Studio (2 Raper St, Surry Hills NSW 2010) by Friday 3 July 2015.
- An exhibition of selected finalists’ paintings will be on show at the Brett Whiteley Studio from Friday 14 August until Sunday 13 September 2015. All works selected for hanging must be available for showing continuously throughout the exhibition. An online exhibition may also feature on the Brett Whiteley Studio/Art Gallery of NSW website.
- The Brett Whiteley Studio and the Art Gallery of NSW reserve the right to exhibit the works selected by the judges for up to three months.
- The judges’ decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- The applicant consents to the Brett Whiteley Studio and the Art Gallery of NSW reproducing the applicant’s nominated work in all publicity and promotion of the scholarship, inclusive of all electronic and print media.
- The applicant is responsible, both financially and logistically, for the delivery and return of their painting. All costs associated with entering – including postage, freight and insurance – are to be borne by the applicant.
- The Brett Whiteley Studio and the Art Gallery of NSW will not be responsible for any loss or damage caused to any work while in its custody. Each applicant is responsible for maintaining their own insurance.