Brett Whiteley Travelling Art Scholarship
Applications now open
Closing date for applications: Friday 4 July 2014
Date of residency: July to September 2015
Each year, the Brett Whiteley Studio, administered by the Art Gallery of NSW, invites applications for a major travelling art scholarship. The scholarship is awarded to a talented young artist with an established body of work, who is best able to demonstrate the use and benefit of the scholarship to further their art education in Europe.
Mrs Beryl Whiteley (1917–2010) generously allocated funds for the scholarship in memory of her son, Brett Whiteley, both to encourage excellence in painting and to offer young artists the same opportunity to develop their careers as were afforded to her son.
The scholarship consists of an amount of $25,000 and a three-month residency at the Cité Internationale des Arts, Paris, administered by the Art Gallery of NSW.
The residency is for a continuous period of three (3) months occupancy, from July to September 2015. The scholarship must be taken at this specified time.
The $25,000 must be used by the successful applicant to further their art education in Europe for a period of at least six (6) months, three (3) of which must be used in conjunction with the residency.
- The scholarship is open to artists who are between the ages of 20 and 30 (inclusive) on the closing date for applications, which is Friday 4 July 2014.
- Applicants must be citizens of Australia and must have been so for at least the last two (2) years. Applicants must be residing in Australia at the time of processing, judging and the announcement of the scholarship.
- The applicant must submit ten (10) JPEG images of ten (10) artworks completed by the applicant to demonstrate a body of work.
- Each JPEG must be clearly titled with the applicant’s name and title of the work. The title, date, medium and size of each work must also be listed separately on an image list and included with the application.
- The ten (10) JPEG images must also be formatted into a PowerPoint presentation. Please format as a landscape presentation, with each slide featuring one image, centred on a white background with the caption underneath (title, date, medium and size). Please make the first slide your name only. A downloadable PowerPoint template is available for your reference (link at right). It is not compulsory to use this template; it is only a guide. Please save your presentation in the following format: ‘SURNAME_Firstname_2014’
- From the ten (10) images submitted, at least five (5) must be of paintings. The remaining five (5) may be of works in other media.
- From these five (5) images of paintings, the applicant must nominate one (1) painting no larger than 100 × 150 cm as the work they would prefer the judges to consider in competition for the scholarship. The nominated image must be of a painting and must have been produced in the twelve (12) months prior to the closing date. The applicant must clearly identify the nominated work by marking the JPEG and the corresponding item in the enclosed image list, as well as the relevant slide in the PowerPoint presentation, with an “N”.
- The judges may, at their discretion, nominate from the submitted images any other painting also completed by the artist in the preceding twelve (12) months instead of the applicant’s nominated work.
- The ten (10) JPEG images, image list and PowerPoint presentation must be provided on a CD-ROM.
- The CD-ROM must be submitted with a completed application form (link at right) and a non-refundable $20 (including GST) entry fee. Please post your application to Brett Whiteley Travelling Art Scholarship, Public Programs, Art Gallery of NSW, Art Gallery Road, Sydney NSW 2000. Or deliver in person to the Art Gallery of NSW between Monday 30 June and Friday 4 July only (10am – 5pm). Payment may be made by cheque or money order to the Art Gallery of NSW. Any application form not accompanied by payment will not be eligible for the scholarship. If you would like your CD-ROM returned, you must also include a prepaid, self-addressed envelope.
- A shortlist of finalists will be selected in August. Shortlisted finalists will be required to send their selected work to the Brett Whiteley Studio, 2 Raper Street, Surry Hills NSW 2010, by Thursday 21 August 2014.
- An exhibition of selected finalists’ paintings will be on show at the Brett Whiteley Studio from Friday 5 September until Sunday 28 September 2014. All works selected for hanging must be available for showing continuously throughout the exhibition. An online exhibition may also feature on the Brett Whiteley Studio website.
- The Brett Whiteley Studio and the Art Gallery of NSW reserve the right to exhibit the works selected by the judges for up to three (3) months.
- The judges’ decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- The applicant consents to the Brett Whiteley Studio and the Art Gallery of NSW reproducing the applicant’s selected work in all publicity and promotion of the scholarship, inclusive of all electronic and print media.
- The applicant is responsible, both financially and logistically, for the delivery and return of their painting. All costs associated with entering – including postage, freight and insurance – are to be borne by the applicant.
- The Brett Whiteley Studio and the Art Gallery of NSW will not be responsible for any loss or damage caused to any work while in its custody. Each applicant is responsible for maintaining their own insurance.